This fall marks an important event for housing in the province of British Columbia. On November 1 & 2, the residential construction industry in partnership with all three levels of government is hosting HAS: The Housing Affordability Symposium.
This event is the first of its kind as it brings together stakeholders to openly discuss barriers and solutions to housing affordability in BC. Unlike the issue of affordable housing, which deals with issues of social housing, this symposium is solely focused on market housing affordability to lower housing costs or remove barriers of entry for all British Columbians.
More than an educational conference, this symposium provides multiple roundtable discussions amongst all attendees. Join with the delegates, comprising elected officials, construction industry leaders, and members of government, to engage in this critical issue for the future of housing.
In addition to a series of break-out sessions, the Symposium will feature a numerous keynote speakers including:
- David Baxter, Urban Futures Institute sponsored by Terasen Gas
- Honourable Rich Coleman, Minister of Housing and Social Development
- Honourable Ben Stewart, Minister of Community and Rural Development*
- Cameron Muir, BC Real Estate Association sponsored by BC Real Estate Association
- Michael Geller, President, The Geller Group
- Tsur Somerville, Director, UBC Centre for Urban Economics and Real Estate
- and numerous government and industry development leaders
“Our shared goal for the Housing Affordability Symposium is to engage all stakeholders in the understanding and acknowledgement of their role in the change required to provide market housing within the means of all British Columbians.”
– Bob Deeks, Chair, Housing Affordability Symposium
* awaiting final confirmation
- Minister Rich Coleman Confirmed Luncheon Speaker at Upcoming Housing Affordability Symposium
- Construction crime pays for higher housing costs
- Update on Housing Affordability Symposium
- Save the Date: Industry – Government Housing Affordability Symposium
- Industry-Government Symposium for Housing Affordability Announced